Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"So You Think You Can Dance" 16 Contestants Remaining

Tonight's episode of "So You Think You Can Dance" on FOX network will bring the 16 remaining finalist together to compete.Eight male dancers and eight female dancers will be paired up, and each couple will compete against the other eight couples until they are eliminated from the show or until they reach the point when partners are rotated each week by picking names out of a hat. This week one guy and one girl will go home. This is the first week America will get to vote.

Here we go, let's watch:

18-year old, Noelle (contemporary) and 19-year old, Russell (krumper) will be dancing Afro Jazz choreographed by, new to the show, Sean Cheeseman. In this routine, they are frogs. Russell was the strongest dancer of the two, but Noelle did a great job too. This was the most unique routine of the night. It was energetic and required a lot of strength on the part of both dancers.
My Scores: Noelle - 9 Russell - 10

27-year old Ashleigh (ballroom) and 18-year-old, Jakob will be dancing a jazz routine choreographed by Mandy Moore. A cane prop will take center stage with this couple. Not to take anything away from Ashleigh's talent (she's getting better every week), but I am a Jakob fan. He is phenomenal! That being said, this couple is finding their chemistry and hitting their stride together. I love Mandy Moore routines and Jakob actually reminds me of Neal who was in Mandy's "Table" routine. My Scores: Ashleigh - 9 Jakob -10

18-year-old, Channing (contemporary), and Victor (contemporary) will be dancing a contemporary routine by Stacey Tookey. This is about a couple who are in a toxic relationship and are tired from all the drama. This is my favorite routine so far tonight. This was Channing and Victor's first week as partners and their chemistry was phenomenal. Both dancers were on their game, and this is the best I've seen Channing do this whole season. They were technically beautiful and the performance of the characters was good. Did they become vulnerable enough to make me cry? No, but I was genuinely touched by the beauty and quality of the performance. My Scores Channing - 9 Victor - 8

27-year-old, Karen (Ballroom) and 23-year-old, Kevin (Hip Hop), will be dancing the hustle tonight. Choreographer Maria Torres will take us to a girl's choice dance. Disco is back, baby. This was a great routine performed by a very strong couple. Kevin performed a leap like a ballet dancer. Karen was great as usual, but Kevin grabbed our attention also. Adam Shankman called Karen's slower moves "Quiet Fire", I like that, because it's true. Kevin struggled slightly with lifts, but overall did quite well. I wasn't as amazed as last week, but I still like this couple. My Scores: Karen - 9 Kevin- 9

19-year old Ellenore (Jazz) and 28-year-old Ryan (Ballroom) will be dancing a hip hop routine choreographed by Lil C, one of my favorites. Their task tonight is to successfully rob a bank. Ellenore is actually doing a better job with the hard hits and the swagger than Ryan is. She clearly executes the routine more convincingly. That being said, Ryan did a respectable job. I felt Nigel was too harsh on the couple. I felt they did a better job, than he did. My Scores: Ellenore - 9 Ryan - 8

18-year-old Pauline (Jazz) and 21-year-old Peter (Tap) are dancing the Quickstep (known as the kiss of death on the show). Most dancers are not thrilled when they pull this dance out of the hat, and I must admit it's not one of my favorite dance styles. That being said, a quickstep well done can be very entertaining. A Quickstep not done well can mean the end of the road. Choreographer JT & Tomas are new to me. I'm not sure if they're new to the show. We have a soldier and a hula girl with a South Pacific theme which is very different for a Quickstep. This was okay, but it won't go down as my favorite routine of the night. The routine felt more like they were just rushing to keep up, but overall it was cute. My Scores: Pauline - 8 Peter - 8

18-year-old Katherine (contemporary) and 18-year-old Legacy (Hip Hop) will be dancing a Broadway routine tonight. Choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler is giving our dancers characters to play. They will be fighting with each other. Let's see who wins. Well Katherine wins the fight, but they both needed to do a better job convincing us they were fighting. Legacy did a better job of establishing his character and is so convincing no matter what style he gets. Katherine, who I have loved from day one was more cutesy than anything else. My Score: Katherine - 8 Legacy -10

18-year-old, Mollee (Jazz) and 18-year-old, Nathan (Contemporary) will be dancing a Salsa routine by Gustavo Vargas. This routine was hot and cold. Mollee especially looked hot in the yellow outfit and she had some really hot moves. That was the good news. The bad news is that they made so many mistakes I couldn't keep up. I'm not sure who was messing up in each incident, but there were some clear problems with the lifts. Nathan was struggling the most out of the two. This is really too bad, because these two had a very good week last week. My Score: Mollee - 7 Nathan - 7

Favorites of the Night

My three favorite routines of the night are Mandy Moore's "Cane" routine, Stacey Tookey's "Toxic Relationship" routine, and Sean Cheeseman's "Frog" routine.

My three favorite female dancers for tonight are: Ashleigh, Channing, and Noelle.

My three favorite male dancers for tonight are Russell, Legacy, and Jakob.

America votes tonight and we'll post the names of the one male dancer and the one female dancer who are eliminated from the show after the results show airs tomorrow night.

The Bottom 3 Couples

Karen and Kevin

Ellenore and Ryan

Pauline and Peter


Pauline was chosen to go home.

Peter was chosen to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment